Saturday, July 19, 2014

First time at the Sea!

This weekend was so much fun!

Friday my roommate Léa and I both had the day off. We were going to take the bus to the beach but convinced our housemate and friend Marine to come with us - She only had a 4 hour break between shifts and the beach is 30 mins away but she came! We spent the day swimming in the Mediterranean. It was my first time in a sea! Immediately I could feel something was different. You may ot believe me but the water was softer. It was clear. You could see the bottom. There weren't large waves with an undertoe picking up all of the rocks and sand and jellyfish and throwing them back on the beach like in the oceans I've been in. It was calm and you could see the bottom and there was nothing mixed in with the water just water. It was so soft!
léa would kill me if she know this was on here

toes in the mediterranean!

map of where we were


Léa and I being silly
This day was also the first time I had every seen someone topless on a beach! AND IT WAS MY FRIEND haha! I told her I can not believe you are doing that! She didn't care and thought it was normal. Man, what a different world!

Marine left and Léa and I went shopping. I got a skirt for work that I really needed, some black sandals also for work and some sunglasses since I broke mine at the beach. I spent the whole day looking for presents for my family and friends but couldn't find any. We convinced Marine to come back after work to watch fireworks on the beach with us. This was great because it meant we could stay longer, watch the fireworks, and not have to worry about finding the bus home!

For the whole summer, Frejus has fireworks on the beach. Not everyday but often. It is supposedly because this summer is the deca-versary of the beginning of WWI. Sitting in the sand with my friends and watching fireworks over the mediterranean was magical, but again I felt a bit uneasy as I thought about the tension in the middle east.
Fireworks!

Before the fireworks, however, we ate dinner. Marine got mussels, which are a huge thing here apparently. We have a special mussels and fries dinner every Tuesday and all of the restarants on the beach had them too. I got chicken and rice and curry. We had ice cream in the beginning of the afternoon and again after dinner. You can not even imagine the ice cream here. I'm so upset I didn't take a picture but I am sure I will go back. It is unreal. You can't walk by without getting some because it is just SO CREAMY AND LARGE AND DELICIOUS. just wait. you will see.
Awww! This is the Coke I got at dinner -
It says to share it with your brother (Frère)!
Cheers to you, Josh!!
Also that night we found out there was a nocturnal market! This happens often in the summer in France because everyone is on vacation for July/August. There is an outdoor market, kind of like art fair in AA (which I am so bummed I am not at) where they close off the roads from 9pm to 2am and all of these vendors come out and sell their things. I did finally find one thing for Chris :) but I am still reflecting on what to buy for the rest of you. I did end up getting myself a new watch because my other one broke while dancing with the kids - grr!
A cool clock I saw while downtown

Right under the clock -
an essie ad! I'm home.


On the way home we saw a beam of light in the sky. Marine is very adventurous and always wants to know where the party is at so we followed it. It turns out a nightclub or "boite de nuit" just opened not far from our resort. It is the only one near us at all so that is cool but I have no idea how they will survive since as I stated the majority age here is senior citizen. We asked the bouncer what it was blah blah and the owner lady said that night was ladies night so we could get in free and she would give us a free drink for trying it out. We went in and there was maybe 10 people there so it wasn't very poppin but it was cool for the night! I think we will have to try it again in the future....

Our free drinks!

This is how I feel about today

No comments:

Post a Comment